S/N 2246093;semi-auto; single action, .45 caliber, Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP). Approx. one million six hundred forty three thousand (1,643,000) of this model was manufactured between 1924 and 1945. As in the Model 1911,Colt licensed other companies to produce these side-arms under government contract during WWII;however,this pistol was manufactured by Colt in their factory in Hartford,CT. This gun has the standard military WWII parkerized finish;fixed sights;7-shot,plain blued(or contract magazine;Colt plastic grips with wide rings around the screws and a five inch barrel marked “COLT.45 AUTO”. Early barrels were marked “COLT.45 AUTO”,later examples were marked with a “C” in a square.By serial number verification,this pistol was manufactured by Colt’s P.T.F.A. Manufacturing Co.in Hartford,CT in early 1945. Serial numbered pistols from 2244804 to 2380013 were manufactured by Colt;others were manufactured by Remington-Rand and by Ithaca. The early 1945 productions by Colt were acceptance marked under the authority of Guy H. Drewry(GHD),a civilian employee of the U.S. Ordnance Department who had the title “Army Inspector of Ordnance”. The “GHD” acceptance mark is located on the left side of the frame below the slide stop. The verified proof and final inspector’s mark is located on the trigger guard bow;“93” on right side, five pointed star over “vp” inside a triangle on the left side. This pistol was manufactured with an unnumbered slide. It has a “P”: marking on the left of the frame by the magazine release button and a “P” on top of the slide between the ejection port and the rear sight. The right side of the frame is marked “M1911A1 U.S. ARMY” forward of the slide stop min and “UNITED STATES PROPERTY” behind the slide stop pin;the serial number “No2246093” is marked below “United States Property”. Between the serial number and the slide stop pin is a two line stamp that read:“RELEASED BRITISH GOVT. 1952”. Just past and below the slide stop pin is another stamp with a rectangular sunburst frame that reads “NOT ENGLISH MADE”. These markings, plus others on the barrel, identify this pistol as a weapon sent to the British Government under the WWII Lend-Lease Act. From all of the serial numbers of U.S. M11911A1’s, from March 11, 1941 through the rest of WWII, the U.S. furnished 39,592 of these pistols to the British Government. It is thought that this pistol was part of a shipment to England in 1945 and was returned to the United States sometime in 1953. The left side of the slide is marked with a two line address (first line): “PATENTED APR.20, 1897. SEPT.9, 1901 (Colt’s rearing horse symbol) COLT’S PT. F.A. MFG.CO. (second line): DEC. 19, 1905 FEB.14, 1911. AUG.19, 1913 HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A. On the right side of the slide, near the hammer, is a tiny proof mark and directly below it, on the frame by the grip safety spur, is an identical proof mark. These marks can be described as a circle with a small crown on top and a capital “V” in the center of the circle. Another symbol on the right side of the frame, between the grip and the grip safety spur is an ordnance stamp described as a circle within a circle with crossed cannon barrels. This pistol has the original barrel and the lands and grooves are bright and sharp. The factory bluing is black in color and shows minor wear and the finish at the muzzle and barrel bushing, along the length of the barrel and on top of the barrel at the throat. The barrel has the following engraving and stamps: left side of the barrel “COLT 45 AUTO”;below this,on the barrel’s slide pin mount, is the letter “P”.The bottom of the barrel has the number “7” stamp. High on the right side of the barrel, at the throat end,are the following stamps and symbols: a “British Crown” symbol with the letter “BNP” below the symbol; .45, quotation marks, .900, quotation marks, then the stamp 7 tons PFRU, ending with quotation marks. Estimated value by the 30th Ed. BBGV at 98% is $3500.00.
Item will be shipped to a verifed FFL dealer within 72 hours of verification of recieved funds. Shi