FLIR is the first name in thermal products, having been an industry leader for a very long time. They make products suitable for everything from Apache Helicopters to your iPhone, with prices to match. This year at SHOT 2018, we took a look at the new products suitable for the normal human budget.
- Detector Type: 320 × 256 VOx Microbolometer
- Digital Zoom: 1× – 4× continuous
- Eye Relief: 16 mm
- Field of View [H x V]: 24° × 19°
- Image Processing: FLIR Proprietary Digital Detail Enhancement™
- Internal Memory: Up to 1,000 images and 2.5 hours of video on internal memory
- Package Includes: Thermal Monocular, CR123A Battery, Lens Cloth, Hard Case
- Size: 139 × 70 × 49 mm (5.5 × 2.7 × 1.9 in)
- Start up: < 1.5 seconds
- Weight: 210 g (0.46 lbs)
- Lens System: 9.1 mm; F/1.04
- Optical Magnification: 1×
First up is the new Breach Unit, a monocular-sized thermal suitable for handheld or helmet-mounted use. The footprint is almost the same as a PVS-14, perfect for hunting or tactical use.
Weighing a slim 7.5 ounces, this is one you can take everywhere. The display features multiple color palettes, so yes you can go Predator Vision. Also included, on-board image and video capture, with a simple USB port for download.
Finally, as an added bonus, users will enjoy a 90-minute runtime from a single CR-123, which means this one doesn’t eat batteries the way older thermal units do.
BNVD-51 3F Compact Dual Tube Night Vision
- Magnification 1x standard (3x optional)
- Photocathode Type GaAs
- Lens System F/1.26; 19 mm
- Field of View 51°
- Focus Range 0.25m to Infinity
- Eye Relief 17 mm
- Diopter Adjustment -6 to +2 dpt
- Manual Gain Control Yes
- Bright Light Cut-off Yes
- Automatic Shut-off System Yes
- Infrared Illuminator Yes (built-in with pivotal flood lens)
- IR Indicator Yes (in FOV)
- Low Battery Indicator Yes (in FOV)
- Power Supply One AA (1.5 V) or 123A (3 V)
- Battery Life Up to 20 hours (up to 80 hrs with optional Battery Pack) at 20°C
- Operating Temperature -40°C to +50°C (-40°F to +122°F)
- Storage Temperature -50°C to +50°C (-58°F to +122°F)
- Overall Dimensions 113 × 118 × 73 mm (4.4 × 4.6 × 2.8 in)
- Weight 0.61 kg (1.35 lbs)
- Warranty 2 Years
Not content to own just the thermal imaging market, FLIR has also stepped into the night vision realm. New for this year, a BNVD and a monocular.
Both feature a new 51-degree field of view, decisively cutting down on the classic NVG tunnel vision effect. The BNVD sports dual articulating tubes, with an auto-off when a tube is rotated out of the way. These goggles run off either a CR123 or AA battery, so you can fuel them with whatever is handy. A remote battery pack is also available, offering more juice and better balance on your helmet.
For more information on specs and pricing make sure to visit FLIR.com.