Not far into my journey to reloading, it became obvious I was going to need some case prep tools. Never one to shy away from keeping Visa in business, I decided to go big from jump street rather than piecemeal the products along the way. I picked the biggest and baddest options available from Hornady.
Hornady Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner
First up is the Hornady Hot Tub Time Machine Sonic Cleaner. This is actually a dual-use item, one that I already had for suppressor cleaning. With a quick switch of the cleaning solution from gun parts to cartridge-case formula, the Hot Tub was ready to go!
- Cleans internal and external surfaces of cartridge cases and primer pockets.
- Includes one inner tank for cleaning multiple smaller batches or to use separate solutions at the same time.
- Hanging cords allow large objects to take full advantage of the ultrasonic energy.
- Includes small parts basket.
- De-gas function.
- 5 temperature settings from 100-140°F.
- Hot Tub™ main tank dimensions: 25.5″ x 7.0″ x 4″ (9 Liters/2.3 Gallons)
- Internal divider tank dimensions (sold separately): 6.7″ x 4.7″ x 3.2″ (1.6 Liters/1.7 Quarts)
Hornady recommends you deprime your cases first, as the sonic cleaner will clean out the primer pockets too. The Hot Tub has impressed me since I got it and it remains one of my best buys. With the two tank system, I could actually do brass prep and gun parts at the same time in the separate compartments.
Using the full tank, the 9-liter Hot Tub ate my entire batch of brass with room to spare. The heating option is nice for really nasty brass and a miracle worker on carboned-up gun parts. Not a lot to the operation of this one for brass. Deprime. Add water and cleaning solution. Toss the brass in, hit go. 20 minutes later, lay them out to dry. Easy day.
MSRP for the Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner is $499.99.
Hornady Power Case Prep Center
Next up was the Hornady Power Case Prep Center. This has been an incredible time saver. The star of the show is the precision adjustable (to .001 inches) power trimmer. Once you have your case length set, lock it in and go to work.
- The trimmer is micro adjustable to .001″ for precise and consistent trimming.
- Rugged housing and a powerful motor will give years of dependable service.
- Trims small to large cases measuring ¾” to 3¼”.
- Removable trays are easy to detach and provide ample collection space for shavings.
- Innovative design keeps metal shavings in the catch trays and out of the cases.
- Easy grip handle offers leverage.
- Arrange the chamfer/deburr tools, primer pocket cleaners and neck brushes however you want on the front panel.
If you do large batches of brass at once, this is a lifesaver. The large T handle is comfortable for trimming, and the design allows you to use either hand. A very nice feature if you have a heavy shooting habit. In the front is space for 6 tools (chamfer/deburr tools, primer pocket cleaners and neck brushes, powered by the same motor. You can arrange them in any manner you see fit.
The only drawback with the whole system is that there is no index on top when you are trying to make adjustments to the .001.” Not a big deal. Just use a pen or pencil to mark the notch that you need to turn to and you’re good to go.
MSRP for the Case Prep Center is $409.99.
These two tools made case prep a cinch and will be useful for years to come. As mentioned, the time saved with the Power Case Prep Center and the Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner are well worth the price of admission.
For more information on these products as well as other cool reloading equipment visit Hornady.com.