Tannerite is a fun and safe product when used correctly. However, when it is purposefully misused it can have severe and deadly consequences as four Oklahoma residents learned the hard way this past Sunday.
According to authorities, on Sunday afternoon 22-year-old Brandon Martin placed roughly two pounds of Tannerite inside a stove. He then shot the stove with a rifle. The result was that of a bomb exploding. Shards of metal were sent flying through the air.
Tragically, the door of the stove flew off and hit 8-year-old Kyle Phelan in the head, fatally wounding him. Kodi Branham, the boy’s stepfather, was hit by shrapnel in the leg, but he would survive the injury.
Deputies for the Sequoyah County Sheriff’s Department arrested Martin on complaints of manslaughter. Additionally, Fred and Mary Martin, and a man named Paul Griffin were arrested for obstructing the investigation.
“It’s tragic enough that you’ve got an 8-year-old that’s passed away, but you’ve got adults now lying to us about what’s happened,” sheriff Ron Lockhart told NewsOn6.
“It’s not an accident,” he continued. “Any adult should know whether to put children in danger or adults in danger.”
The ATF is also investigating the incident as the Tannerite was used as a bomb.
In the video below the spokesperson of Tannerite clearly goes over the rules of safe usage. Rule #3 clearly states, “Do not place target in, on or under any object that will throw debris.”
You know, there are no excuses for not following the rules. Just like one is instructed not to play with firearms, the same holds true for explosives. They’re not a freaking toy!!!
Thoughts and prayers for the boy and his family. Hopefully this serves a wake up call for anyone out there who is irresponsibly using Tannerite and/or firearms.
What are your thoughts on this tragedy?