Daniel Defense is no stranger to the AR platforms, they are among the leaders in the field. Arguably, they make the best rifles on the market today. From competition grade 7.62 all the way to the 5.56 upper of choice for SOCOM, they do AR’s right. But what about the pistol market?
- LOWER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- UPPER RECEIVER: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- RECEIVER EXTENSION: AR Pistol Receiver Extension
- BARREL: Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:7 Twist, 10.3″ S2W Profile, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated, and HP/MPI Tested
- GAS SYSTEM: Low Profile Gas Block CNC Machined of 4140 hardened steel with Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coating, Pistol Length, Direct Impingement
- MUZZLE DEVICE: Daniel Defense Flash Suppressor, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished
- BOLT CARRIER GROUP: M16 Profile, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
- BUFFER: H Buffer
- HANDGUARD: MFR 9.0 M-LOK, CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized, Black
- BRACE: SB Tactical SOB Pistol Stabilizing Brace
- PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
- MSRP: $1,679
Well, they actually have made pistols before, it just tends to get lost in the mix. So new for this year, they have updated the AR pistol line. The new V7P was available at range day, so of course, we had to indulge.
The first change, DD revamped the VP7 with the SB Tactical SOB Pistol Stabilizing Brace. As pistol braces have evolved, SB Tactical has been leading the charge. It would only make sense to use this brace on a premium brand like Daniel Defense. The V7P includes an M-LOK handguard, what has become the defacto winner of the attachment wars. The model we fired also was capable of folding the stock, thanks to a LAW Tactical stock adaptor.[/one_half]
Impressions & Pricing
The barrel is 10.3 inches, a nice compromise of size and use. You can make a pistol with a shorter barrel, but it starts to get dangerous to the hand around 10. Of course, the DD features the in-house built pistol grip, which is one of my favorites. MSRP is set at $1,679. If you’re in the market for an AR pistol, give this one a closer look.
For more information about Daniel Defense, click here.