NO!!! Not another AR!!! Grrrrrrr. I can hear some of you already…
Yes, it’s another AR-15. I’m not going to complain, though. I like the idea of manufacturers continuing to upgrade and refine and re-introduce America’s most popular rifle. Why? Because as consumers, we win! The stiffer the competition the better the product, and when supply goes up, prices go down!
Ruger’s new AR-556 Multi-Purpose Rifle (MPR) has been made to be a standout in a marketplace brimming with black rifles. From the Magpul furniture to the Ruger Elite two-stage trigger to the rifle-length gas system, this modern sporting rifle is designed to give the user everything and the kitchen sink from day one. No customization required.
“We are very excited to add this model to our modern sporting rifle lineup,” said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy in a press release. “Our talented team of engineers worked carefully to develop the ideal custom package for the AR-556 platform that does it all, right out of the box. From plinking to competition shooting, the MPR is the perfect rifle for just about anything.”
Priced reasonably at $899, it’s sure to garner looks from those looking to dip their toe into the AR pool. Remember, street prices will be lower than $900. Full details are listed below, along with a short video.
- Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul® MOE® grip and MOE SL™ collapsible buttstock on the Mil-Spec buffer tube.
- Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 15″ length provides enhanced ergonomics and support.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector, and is Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.
- Bolt is machined from 9310 alloy steel and is shot peened and pressure (proof) tested to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.
- The Ruger® Elite 452™ AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30% faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.
- Rifle-length gas system provides smoother operation and reduces felt recoil.
Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
- Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The 1:8″ twist rate stabilizes bullets from 35 to 77 grains, and the 5.56 NATO chamber allows the use of both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem. Ammunition. M4 feed ramps provide improved operational reliability, and the matte black nitrided finish provides corrosion resistance.
- Chrome-plated bolt carrier inside diameter and chrome-plated gas key inside diameter provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing. A matte black oxide finish on the exterior of the bolt carrier provides corrosion resistance.
- Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The 1/2″-28 threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
- Also includes: One, 30-round Magpul® PMAG®.