Hornady is best known for ammunition and reloading equipment, but that isn’t all they make. Over the last year or two, they have also become a major player in the small safe market. The RAPiD Safe line specializes in securing home defense guns, ready to deploy in seconds. Last year I did a review on the AR wall lock, a fantastic method of keeping a rifle handy. Never content to rest on their laurels, this year Hornady is releasing the RAPiD Vehicle Safe.
- Exceeds ASTM International safety standards for child and pry resistance, lock strength, drop/pick/saw tests and high-attack resistance.
- RFID☥ activated by wristband, key fob or sticker that instantly opens spring-assist lid. Up to five RFID tags can be programmed.
- User can program four- to six-digit security code for secondary entry method or use barrel key.
- Exterior housing is made of thick 14 gauge steel with two internal hardened locking lugs. A security cable for attaching to the seat frame is included.
- 12-volt car adaptor or four AAA batteries (not included) ensures your handgun is protected and ready when you are.
- MSRP: $190 (According to MidwayUSA)
Impressions & Availability
Installation is simple. A cable lock goes around your seat frame, secure the safe. If someone has time to remove your seats, you have bigger problems. The safe is then held in place with an inflatable bladder, keeping it at arms reach. Same as the other Hornady Safes, entry is gained by a 4 digit code, an RFID fob, an RFID sticker, or a physical key as a last resort.
This is a great product, for a variety of reasons. You may be forced to leave your gun in your car, but now it is safe. Some of us work at places we can’t take a gun inside. If you go to the Post Office, now you don’t have to leave your gun at home. Most important, a gun on your body can be hard to access with a seatbelt on. The Rapid Car Safe solves all these problems.
For more information about Hornady RAPiD safes, click here.