We believe strongly in common sense gun laws. Tom was a gun owner who believed we all have a responsibility to ensure guns are used safely and sensibly. He said it publicly and wrote it in songs. None of us want to live in a country where our children aren’t safe. pic.twitter.com/DYAKWfVqAr— Tom Petty (@tompetty) October 28, 2022
The estate of deceased rock star Tom Petty has partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety this election season to urge voters to back candidates who will support tougher gun laws.
Petty’s family announced the news on Twitter.
“We hope people will come together no matter what their beliefs are about guns to make sure the children in our schools are safer in America,” they tweeted.
“We’ve fought for a safer future, now vote for it. @Everytown,” they went on to say in a tweet while tagging the gun-control organization funded primarily by billionaire Michael Bloomberg.
“Find an event near you to help us elect Gun Sense Candidates who will fight for a safer future,” they added.
Tom Petty was a gun owner, according to the family. But it’s not clear what specific gun control policies he favored when he was alive.
However, it is clear where Everytown stands. It supports a broad array of policies that would significantly curtail 2A rights, such as:
- A ban on open carry
- Criminalizing private transfers
- A ban on modern sporting rifles
- Waiting periods for firearm purchases
- A ban on magazines with a capacity of over 10 rounds
- A block on concealed carry reciprocity
- Prohibiting guns in “sensitive areas”
- A block on suppressor de-regulation
- Repealing the PLCAA
- Making schools gun-free zones
- Preventing teachers from carrying on campus