Just a month or so after resigning from his failed pillow company, called “Good Pillow,” David Hogg is back on the air chirping about gun control.
During a recent interview on CNN, the former Parkland student was asked about the uptick in gun sales over the past year and half.
“So, in just the past year, in 2020, there were nearly 23 million gun sales across the United States,” began CNN’s Alisyn Camerota. “That’s up 65 percent over the year before. And then, in January, OK, after the insurrection at the Capitol, there were two million gun sales. And that’s up 75 percent compared to the January before that. So, what’s that about to you?
“I think it’s about fear,” answered Hogg. “I think it’s about the fact that, as a country, oftentimes, we would rather, unfortunately, turn on each other and point to someone’s skin color or point to someone’s immigration status or their gender or their sexual identity and claim that’s the threat, when, in reality, we should all be working together against the sources of evil that are creating this gun violence and the injustice that promotes this gun violence and gun purchases in the first place.”
So, millions of Americans purchased guns because they’re racist, xenophobic, misogynistic and homophobic?
That appears to be what Hogg is saying.
Hmmm… Before we pull the identity-politics card, perhaps we should consider the following:
- During the COVID-19 pandemic, major U.S. cities changed their policing and detainment strategies to “slow the spread” of the virus. Instead of arresting and detaining certain lawbreakers, police were told to cite them with an appearance ticket for court and then let them back out onto the streets. Meanwhile, jails and prisons began a process of letting inmates who were believed to be nonviolent out early. To the surprise of absolutely no one with a shred of common sense, some of those offenders immediately began reoffending.
- 2020 was an election year featuring the most anti-gun presidential ticket in history. Those concerned that a Biden administration would take a hostile approach to the 2A came out in full force to stock up on guns and ammo. While Biden has yet to realize his gun-grabbing ambitions, including a “buyback” and giving the NFA treatment to all AR-style rifles, the threat remains real giving the Dems control over both chambers. Hence, the continued buying frenzy we’re seeing in the marketplace.
- Widespread civil unrest following the death of convicted felon George Floyd. Looters, vandals, and violent criminals hijacked what might have otherwise been peaceful protests and literally started burning cities to the ground with impunity. Many Americans began to realize that when all hell breaks loose, local police may take hours to show up, if they show up at all. The lesson from this was clear: You are ultimately responsible for the safety of yourself and your family. Take that responsibility seriously and plan accordingly. Firearms are the optimal tool for the job, as it turns out.
- Making matters worse are calls to “Defund the Police,” from Marxist groups like Black Lives Matter. In a situation where crime is skyrocketing and cities are descending into chaos, the last thing a civil society concerned with law and order should do is disband its local police departments. Yet, many social justice warriors honestly believe that that is the solution because they contend the average rank-and-file officer is more of a threat to public safety than an armed criminal. Millions of Americans see through this bullsh*t but reasonably fear that the Dems will cave to the insanity and begin slashing police budgets — a concern fully justified as at least 13 cities are now defunding their police departments. Hamstringing cops from fulfilling their oath to protect and serve is a surefire way to get more people to the gun counter.
- Finally, scarcity itself. When guns and ammo become increasingly hard to come by, more people want to get their hands on them. An untold number of fence-sitters jumped off when shortages in supplies became headline news. The result was a boom in demand for all things 2A-related. We now find ourselves in the midst of an historic ammo drought.
BREAKING: Drive-by shooting caught on Live TV in George Floyd Square as reporter talks about reforming police pic.twitter.com/FZYlIMDcVE— Jack Posobiec (@JackPosobiec) May 25, 2021
But hey, for someone like Hogg who lives in an elitist bubble, the only reason why people buy guns is that the NRA is evil. And, because gun purchasers are racist, homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic rubes. It doesn’t matter that this thesis doesn’t square with the fact that of those 20 million gun buyers last year, millions were women and minorities. All that matters is that it hews to the progressive narrative that the gun lobby is evil and American gun ownership is solely rooted in bigotry.
“This is not a natural disaster,” said Hogg. “This is a completely human-enabled disaster and a disaster that’s enabled by the corruption of our elected officials that say repeatedly let’s just go with whatever the NRA says.”
A day will come when no one is shot in the United States.— David Hogg (@davidhogg111) May 24, 2021
NRA isn’t perfect but at least its solution to the tumult is workable: Learn to protect and defend yourself. Civil disarmament and the complete abandonment of the principles of self-defense, the end game for people like Hogg and Bloomberg, are the real death knell for a citizenry concerned with its future in these uncertain and turbulent times.