Flying circle sent us this bag ages ago, and I’ve been hauling guns around in it now for at least two months. I am much more likely to use a hard sided case than I am a bag, as I’m often traveling on really rough roads with more than my fair share of guns, but I made a point of taking this bag out recently and I have to say I’m impressed.
A bag is a bag is a bag, right? Sometimes. Other times a bag may be almost as solid as a hard-sided case, while offering much more in the way of maneuverability and ergonomics. What if you aren’t driving right up to the bay at the range? What if you have to hike in a ways? You may still want to protect your rifle, and keep gear organized, but not carry quite so much weight.
The Flying Circle Scoped Rifle Case (SRC) is perfect for those situations. The interior is basic, and slick. The nylon there can be kept clean, and has no ridges or seams to mar the finish of a gun. Outside, the SRC has a few unique features. The webbing allows for the addition of extra bags or mag holders, and it has a couple of built in pockets.
The carrying strap isn’t as deeply padded as some I’ve seen, but it is sufficient for bearing the weight of a 9–12 pound load. It is thin enough that it could even ride over the top of a backpack strap. And there are other loops and straps on the SRC so that it can be secured to a roof rack, or handle bars, or even onto the outside of a pack. And everything is reversible, so if you want to carry it barrel up or barrel down, you can.
- Fits most scoped rifles up to 47″ in length
- Extra thick padding throughout
- Locking zippers on weapon compartment
- Tactile zipper pulls – different pulls allow distinct pocket identification by feel
- MOLLE webbing – attach any compatible pouches or gear
- Padded extra large side pocket
- Side pocket features two inside zipper pockets
- Sling style padded shoulder strap – adjustable & detachable
- Grab handle on both ends
- Vehicle Attachment System keeps your rifle accessible
- Water resistant, durable polyester fabric
- Also available in MultiCam and Coyote
- 49.5″ (W) x 1.75″ (D) x 12″ (H)
- side pocket is 26.5″ (W) x 1.5″ (D) x 10.5″ (H)
- MSRP $58
$58. That’s a steal for what you get. Last week, I’d loaded up several rifles and driven to the range. Once there, I’d done some work on the 50 yard range, and then needed to drive over to the 300 yard range. Instead of packing correctly, I just piled everything into the back of the Jeep, and left the tailgate up. I wasn’t going fast, but I hit a good bump and dropped some gear out of the back, onto the gravel road. This case fell the farthest. Inside, a Savage rifle.
How did the gun fair? Pretty good. The SRC’s foam padding feels almost rigid. I’d bet it is closed cell foam–but it does its job perfectly. I put the rifle in the rest, took aim at the 300 yard target and let fly.