California District Attorney George Gascon refused to file felony weapons charges against an adult suspect who allegedly made threats against a school on social media and was caught carrying stolen guns, body armor, and ammunition prompting the Bell Gardens Police Chief Scott Fairfield to force the state’s hand.
The case was initially rejected by the filing District Attorney, who stated that more information was required regarding the criminal threat. Unhappy with their answer, Chief Fairfield contacted the DA’s office directly and demanded a second review of the case.
“On March 21, 2023, the filing District Attorney at Downey Superior Court initially rejected the entire case, stating they needed additional information regarding the criminal threat,” Bell Gardens police said in a statement.
Three days after evidentiary requests were sent to the social media company in question, police had not received a response, according to the statement. The social media company being slow to produce evidence was a contributing factor to the decision of the filing DA to not pursue charges just yet.
Following Fairfield’s conversation with the DA’s office, they filed three felony weapons charges against the suspect: possession of a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school, having a concealed firearm in a vehicle and carrying a loaded handgun.
SEE ALSO: Progressive Prosecutor Proves Why No One Trusts More Gun Control
“Upon receiving the temporary reject, Bell Gardens Police Chief Scott Fairfield contacted the District Attorney’s Office and demanded a second review of the case,” police said in the statement. “Inconsistencies and issues with the DA’s office were addressed.”
The Bell Gardens Police Department has stated that it is committed to ensuring the safety of students, school staff, and community members and is working in conjunction with the Montebello Unified School District to provide additional officers and police presence at all Bell Gardens Schools.
Deputy District Attorney Jonathan Hatami, who has a history of going after criminals who target children, is critical of Gascon’s policies.
“George Gascon refuses to prosecute juveniles in possession of firearms,” Hatami told Fox News Digital Wednesday morning. “It’s dangerous and a failure of the system.”
The incident occurred just days after news of a double shooting in Newhall, where a 16-year-old was killed.
Available on GunsAmerica Now
“George’s policies hurt the juvenile and the public,” Hatami said. “As you see in Newhall, the juvenile wasn’t prosecuted or rehabilitated for possession of a firearm and a few months later he’s armed with another firearm and killed a 16-year-old.”
According to the Santa Clarita Valley Signal, the suspect, in that case, was an 18-year-old alleged gang member who had been accused of a gun charge as a minor, but Gascon declined prosecution under a blanket policy avoiding weapons charges for juveniles.
“This isn’t progress or a reform,” Hatami said. “The juvenile is now going to be charged with murder. Another juvenile is dead. Two families are torn apart. George Gascon’s policies have been a complete failure. We have no justice and no peace in L.A. under Gascon.”
*** Buy and Sell on GunsAmerica! All Local Sales are FREE! ***
I heard a man say one time there was more nuts per square acre in California than anywhere else in the world. Just wanted to pass that on.
Back when i grew up there, the line was “L A is like a bowl of granola; what aint fruits and nuts, is flakes”. Of course, the old joke aint ‘pc’ nohow.
You let your puppy slide on any issue, from chewing on your shoes to messing things up, they see no interest in changing when they grow up, and can turn on you for scolding, let alone trying to change them.
According to my DI, It was hotrods, and you ain’t got no side pipes and if you were from Texas it was Steers. and he referred to every one as Richard
CALIFORNIA … Land of ” FRUITS AND NUTS ” … according to my old Drill Sergent !!!