It looks like a shotgun, shoots like a shotgun, and accepts 12GA shot shells, but according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, the Standard Manufacturing SKO Mini isn’t a shotgun.
And if it isn’t a shotgun, it can’t be a short-barreled shotgun either, no matter the barrel length.
Using the same legal principle applied to the Remington TAC-14 and the Mossberg Shockwave, the semi-automatic SKO Mini can be purchased with a 14.75-inch barrel without the additional $200 tax stamp usually required to purchase a shotgun with a barrel longer than 18 inches.
Because the SKO Mini comes without a stock and its overall length is greater than 26 inches, the ATF can’t categorize it as a shotgun or as “any other weapon” under the National Firearms Act. In his letter to Standard Manufacturing, the ATF’s chief of the Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch calls it simply a “12 gauge firearm” and concludes it does not fall under the NFA.
The SKO Mini is a gas-operated firearm fed from a detachable box magazine. The gun comes with a 2-shell magazine, though 5 and 10-shell magazines are also available.
The receiver is CNC machined out of 7075 aluminum and features a MIL-SPEC hard coat anodized finish. It uses similar controls as an AR-pattern rifle with an ambidextrous safety and mag and bolt release, and the 22-inch Picatinny top rail provides ample room for optics, lasers, and illumination devices. The polymer grip is also compatible with most AR-style grips, and the vertical foregrip is included.
The 14.75” barrel is constructed from 4140 steel and accepts both 2 ¾” and 3” shot shells. The Tru-Choke thread pattern accepts a variety of choke tubes, door breachers, and accessories. Internal components are salt bath nitride coated for optimum lubricity.
MSRP is $699, shipping is $25, and the firearm is unavailable in New York and California.
- Caliber: 12 Gauge
- Overall Length: 27”
- Weight (w/out mag): 7.14 lbs.
- Barrel: 14 ¾” Threaded, chambered for 2 ¾” and 3” shells
- Chokes: Tru-Choke thread pattern
- Capacity: 2 round magazine; optional 2, 5, 10 round mags available
- Action: Gas operated semi-automatic
- Material: Receivers machined from aircraft grade 7075 aluminum; MIL-SPEC hard anodized
- Controls: Ambidextrous Safety, AR-style mag and bolt release
- Grip: Polymer; accepts most AR-style grips
- Forend: Composite material with slots for MOE and bolt on rails; INCLUDES forward vertical grip