Springfield Amory has introduced so many new guns this year, we are running out of ink to describe ’em. Apart from the new 911, there were no real revelations at SHOT Show, but I did get hands-on with a couple of models I haven’t reviewed yet.
The XD-E Single Stack .45 ACP
First up was the XD-E in 45 ACP. I have written a lot about the XD-E since it was first introduced in 9mm last year.
I affectionately call it the dark horse of the Springfield family because it is definitely not the first pistol that pops into mind when talking about S.A. For those that dig the XD-E, they’ll argue that it’s the best pistol in the lineup.
- Caliber: .45ACP
- Recoil System: Dual Spring w/ Full-Length Guide Rod
- Sights: Fiber Optic Front, Low Profile Combat Rear (Steel)
- Weight (w/ empty mag): 23 oz
- Height: 5″ w/ Flush Magazine, 5.25″ w/ Magazine X-Tension™
- Slide: Forged Steel, Melonite®
- Barrel: 3.3″ Hammer Forged Steel, Melonite®
- Length: 6.75″
- Grip Width: 1″
- Frame: Black Polymer
- Magazines: 1 – 6 Round w/ Grip X-Tension™, 1 – 7 Round w/ Mag X-Tension™
- Trigger Pull: Double Action / Single Action
- MSRP: $568.00
Me, personally, I think it is a great little gun and shoots well beyond its weight. And the hammer option appeals to many shooters, in a DA/SA format. So does the size. The XD-E shares the footprint of my all-time favorite carry gun, the XD-S.
An external safety/de-cocker opens the XD-E up to shooters that prefer a manual safety and offers a lot of options. You can carry hammer down, safety on, for the ultimate in safe carry. Or you can go hammer cocked, safety on if you prefer a 1911-style orientation.
When I carry my XD-E, it is hammer down, safety off, since the double action pull is long enough to prevent shenanigans. The 9mm version was a big hit, so I am happy to see Springfield Armory has upgraded it to men’s sizes as well. 45 ACP, for when you are serious about hurting what you shoot.
***Buy a new XD-E on GunsAmerica***
Next up was the suppressor-ready XD(m), which is actually several years old, but new to me. I had no idea that this was out. And yet, there it was. Funny how SHOT works.
- Caliber: .45ACP
- Recoil System: One Piece Full Length Guide Rod
- Sights: Dovetail Front and Rear (Steel) 3 – Dot ; Suppressor Height
- Weight (w/empty mag): 31 ozs.
- Height: 6″
- Slide: Forged Steel, Melonite Finish
- Barrel: 5.28″ / 5.34″ w/ Thread Protector, Hammer Forged, Steel, Melonite®, Threaded (.578″ x 28) / 1:16 Twist
- Length: 8.4″
- Grip Width: 1.26″
- Frame: FDE Polymer
- Magazines: 3 – 13 Round, Stainless Steel (3 – 10 Round for State Restricted Areas)
- MSRP: $673.00
The XD(M) comes with suppressor-height sights, and extended barrels threaded in standard pitches. Now you XD(M) guys don’t have to sit in the truck and pout when the cans come out, you can play too.